Friday, March 27, 2015

Dusting off and updating my blog

My goodness, how long I haven't been on here!
I realized that I did start a blog some time ago, but I didn't know it has been so long since I've been here. So I logged in and decided right away the layout needed some updating, and that's what I did; changed the colors and fonts, rearranged the sidebar and added a new header. Now it looks more like it!

I noticed the last entry was from July 2012, and I can tell you a lot has happened the past 2,5 years with my beading. I learned a lot in that period of time, spend many hours beading and improving my techniques.

In November 2012 I took a leap of faith and opened a shop at Etsy, to try and sell my finished pieces. In March 2013 I had my first sale at Etsy, I was so excited! I sold a necklace to a lady in the United States for the first time and I was so nervous if it all would go well. I packed it carefully, made sure the adress was right a dozen times and shipped it off. 


The first necklace I sold through Etsy
I waited in anticipation for the message that the package had arrived and I was so happy when I received it. It worked out!



In the meantime I got more and more into social media and I discovered that I could reach many beaders around the world through Facebook and Twitter. By posting photo's of my work on social media I got so much positive response it amazed me. Until then I lived in my own little beady world, not knowing anyone near me doing what I did. Wow, finally I met others who were just as crazy about beading as I was.

When I would post a photo of my work, I got many questions if there was a pattern or tutorial available of the piece and that got me thinking... I started to study tutorials in magazines and online to learn how they are made and I thought: "Hey, I can do that!"
I've been doing graphic design for some years, so I knew how to create diagrams. So I started with a nice design, not too hard draw, and I listed my first tutorial in June 2013. That was the tutorial for necklace 'To The Point'.

My first tutorial: necklace 'To The Point'
For me a new era had started from that point, since the pattern was received so well and I got more and more requests. People started to call me a designer and an artist, I never saw myself that way! For me beading is something I love to do most and it makes me happy to be able to share that with so many beaders around the world!



1 comment:

  1. yay Sandra, go you! must get my own up and running!! *hugs* from NZ, KM

    ReplyDelete